Thursday, February 19, 2009

Standards task - Copyright

The internet poses massive problems for copyright laws. Users have access to an abundance of other peoples' "work". I believe it is up to each and everyone of us to be responsible and use our morals and ethics not to breach copyright laws.

However this is not always the case and people need to look out for and report any recognised breaches to appropriate departments to deal with.

Another area of concern is understanding the copyright laws in full, there could be grey areas which are not clear to the user and this could result in breaches also. The Copyright website contains all the necessary information on fair use .

The next question posed about the use of the curtin logo involved reading the Curtin policies. I will interpret this myself to conclude that it would not be acceptable to use the logo on my work as this is my work and not prepared by Curtin so use of their logo would be misleading.
I believe the logo would come under artwork and would be protected by copyright as per the IP policy document.

I think it is best to be safe when it comes to copyright - "when in doubt, don't."

No comments:

Post a Comment