Thursday, February 26, 2009

Boolean Searching Task

Using the same key words as the previous task "staffordshire bull terrier behaviour"

1. the biggest number of hits relating to these key words

i searched for "staffordshire or bull or terrier or behaviour"
this search returned 79,200 hits




















2. information most relevant to what you ACTUALLY wanted to search for

I searched for "+staffordshire +bull +terrier +behaviour"
this search returned 22,600 hits



















3 Information coming only from university sources

I searched for
"+staffordshire +bull +terrier +behaviour and edu"
this search returned 36,600 hits

















I don't think I did this last search correctly as none of the results look like they come from university sources. I think that my search phrase is not correct but am not sure how to fix this. Looked over the boolean searching information document and tried to search for how to do this to no avail.

In comparison to my very first search task where I used google to search I am still coming up with the same number one hit when I do my limited search using "and".

Learning to use boolean search techniques enables a more direct search that can filter out a lot of unwanted results. I will definately use this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment